As a team of proactive thinkers and movers, it seems like we’re always on the go. We love our busy lifestyles and can even admit that the constant hustle can be empowering when transformed into positive, creative energy. After all, a little pressure can certainly motivate you to knock a few items off your to-do list.
As much as we love our busy schedules, everyone needs time for rest and relaxation. Balance is the key to wellness and in order to live well, it’s important to recognize when the scale tips from “busy” to “stressed out.” In recognition of National Stress Awareness Day, we’re sharing some of our favorite ways to unwind and relax in the midst of this crazy but amazing thing called LIFE.
- Deep breathes! Taking a few deep breathes is the simplest way to regain balance, but for some reason we all forget to do this. Shallow breathing makes us even more stressed , which, consequently, causes more shallow breathing and stresses us out further.
- Boost your endorphins with exercise. Sweat your worries away with a hardcore workout. After exercise, people often feel a sense of euphoria. We always feel great right after our go-to workouts of running, hot yoga and cycling.
- Spend time out and about in nature. Getting outside and appreciating what this Earth has to offer reminds us to find beauty in everything. Being surrounded by greenery, water, clouds, the sun and stars always helps us clear our minds.
- Find your zen scent. Light a candle and turn on your favorite tunes. Do you have a favorite “calming scent”? Here is one of our favorites.
- Put down your phone. We live in a world full of electronics with a phone, computer, or TV screen everywhere you look. Put your phone down for at least an hour everyday. Try going on a walk with a strict no phone policy or putting together a recipe you’ve been wanting to make for ages. You know the one.
- Take a bubble bath. Throw in your favorite bath soak and relax in a warm tub with a good book. Getting lost in a story helps us step away from reality for a bit.
- Spend quality time with the people who make you the happiest. Surround yourself with positive, uplifting vibes. When we’re feeling overwhelmed, talking it out with a BFF always helps.
- Last, but certainly not least – embrace it! Stress can motivate you to excel when channeled into a positive push. It can allow you to handle a situation to your best physical and mental capacity. In other words, while sometimes uncomfortable, stress can actually be good! So appreciate it a little if you can.